Laboratoire M2 offers a line of high quality products to keep your operation healthy and profitable. Control dairy cattle hoof infections, safely and effectively.
A safer, cost effective and alternative to Formalin and Copper Sulfate
Digital dermatitis that causes lameness in cattle is a widespread and costly hoof disease for dairy producers. Footbaths are used to help prevent hoof problems such as digital dermatitis. Toxic products like Formalin and Copper Sulfate are routinely used as hoof bath solutions but are hazardous to human health and the environment. They are being actively phased out in most markets, leaving farmers with no solution to control Digital Dermatitis.
THYMOX Footbath is the best altern ative to chemicals:
- Active ingredient originating from essential oil of thyme
- Non toxic
- Non corrosive
- Not irritating
Easy to Use and Cost Effective
- Concentrated solution in 20L – 200L – 1000L
- No heating required
- No powder to dissolve
- No special mixing required
- Economic solution*
* Compared to chemical commonly used in hoof baths, considering costs related to field decontamination and disposal of the chemical.
Proven efficacy against hoof diseases pathogens
An effective hoof bath can disinfect the hooves quickly in the presence of manure, thus preventing hoof diseases. During independent laboratory controlled tests, very low concentrations of THYMOX Footbath demonstrated the following outstanding features:
- Complete killing of Treponema (causative agent of digital dermatitis)
- Effective in short contact times
- Efficacy not affected by the presence of manure
Large scale Field Trial
At Laboratoire M2, we multiply our efforts to gain a solid knowledge of our technology in hoof baths as part of a complete control program of digital dermatitis. We believe it is our role (and not the farmer’s) to test the performance of the product in real dairy settings. The results of this research were presented at the 9th International Conference on Lameness in Ruminants in 2013: Comparison of Hoof Bath Solutions for the Prevention and Control of Digital Dermatitis in Dairy Cows. Although the research was done on cows, THYMOX FOOTBATH should help rid horses and sheeps of hoof diseases.
Preventing hoof diseases: Chronic Lesion vs Healthy Hoof
A multi-disciplinary scientific committee came up with a solid protocol to test THYMOX FOOTBATH in hoof baths in dairy herds (more than 650 cattle observed). Hoof lesions were evaluated over several weeks in 2012/2013 and the observations were analyzed. Compared to a reference chemical, THYMOX FOOTBATH has demonstrated these unique properties, making it a reliable hoof bath solution in a digital dermatitis control program:
- A reduction in chronic lesions (that represents the long term reservoir of new active lesions)
- An increase in healthy hooves – the most favorable outcome of digital dermatitis
Digital dermatitis is a multi-factorial disease that requires multiple actions and efforts to reach a manageable stage of the disease. The success of a preventive footbath is only possible when the disease is evaluated and assessed adequately.
Testimonial from the Nyanga Ranch beef cattle farm in Gabon, Africa
Farmers in Gabon, Africa, have recently added Thymox disinfectant in their hoof bath protocol as a preventive measure against interdigital dermatitis. Since then, they are happy to announce that no case of hoof infection has been reported. Thymox was also used for the farms’ cleaning and disinfection.
- 100 000 hectares
- 9 care centers
- 130 employees, including 80 in the farm
- 5000 heads presently, objective of
25 000 heads
- Project of large hog house
Use of Thymox in the farm
- Thymox is in trial in 2 care centers. The first trial began in December 2013 and the second trial in May 2014. In those care centers, Thymox was mainly used in hoof baths as a preventive treatment against interdigital dermatitis. Since its use, no case of hoof infection has been observed.
- Thymox is used at the stable for the cleaning and disinfection of the boxes and annexes.
- Thymox is also used at the sheepfold for the cleaning and disinfection of the areas.
- At the slaughterhouse, Thymox was used for cleaning and disinfection of the building, the gutters, the containers (negative cold and positive), slaughtering tools (knives, saws, …) and also for cleaning the Equipment of Individual Protection (EIP).
- Refrigerated trucks for the delivery of meat are also cleaned and disinfected with Thymox.
- Finally, the water supply system and the water tower have been cleaned and disinfected with Thymox.
- No case of hoof infection since using Thymox
- The execution of the dilution is simple
- Pleasant and non-aggressive scent
- Concentrated product, which allows its transportation in lesser quantities and to dilute it at the place of use
- No case of hoof infection since its use
- Respect of the company’s commitments concerning the minimization of our activities’ impact on the environment, and respectful of the worker’s health and security (occupational diseases, accidents, splashings)
- Polyvalent product usable in all our services, which makes logistic and orders easier
- Biodegradable in the environment, as our care centers are near water streams used for daily activities (laundry, dishwashing, bathing)
- Replaces a dangerous product: Formalin
- Usable with diverse machines: Karcher, Knapsack sprayers, …etc.
- Usable in hot or cold conditions
The origin of the product (Canada) and its use by its veterinarians has allowed the user to defend the product and to renew his order. We discovered the product via a professional network of Canadian veterinarians. The reactivity of the people of Laboratoire M2 and the scientifically established information brought a real satisfaction and demonstrated real reliability.